Saturday, January 5, 2013

THE CHRONICLES OF MISSY (Chapter 14 - just after Dianne's retirement)

                 TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
               (This is an interruption in the main narrative....concerning the 2 years after my departure from PNB .. as see from the point of view of my cat, MISSY.   What follows is her rather comical narrative and pithy remarks:)  
 

        Just in case you don't know this, I am a cat (I answer to the name 'Missy')....a pretty black kitty (if I do say so myself) with very soft, silky fur.  My present owner, Miss Dianne, likes to pet me, and she also tells me I have a very cute face - don't know about that, as I almost never look in the mirror.  I cannot be accused of vanity, but I realize that I have something of a temper....can get irritated if bothered, for example, when I am sleeping, which I do much of the day.  A couple of times....(well, perhaps more than a couple) I have lightly (only lightly) nipped at her hand, which I know I should not do, as she is a concert pianist and has valuable hands.  However, I can not help myself, and that is how that is.  
        I had a previous owner, Miss D's brother, John...(I refer to him as Master John) who decided to give me up after 14 years!!!  He married a Columbian woman, and lives  part of the year in Columbia, South America, as a result.  A fine state of affairs, to my mind, and I was very upset when I found out he just LEFT the house and did not return for several months.  The next door neighbor gave me the basic kitty kibble (horrible), but nothing else.  No one played with me, petted me or anything like that, and I was quite miserable and lonesome.  Perhaps I was suffering from depression....  When he finally returned, my annoyance with him was obvious, and although I believe he felt badly leaving me all alone for such a long time, but what does that mean?   Then I heard him on the phone with his sister, Dianne, whom I had met only once several years ago.  I eavesdropped on the conversation, and heard him ask her if she would like to adopt a lovely kitty.....namely, me, Missy.  She agreed and the next thing I know, am in a taped up box, in his car and speeding toward Seattle, where Miss Dianne lives.  I managed to get OUT of the box, by chewing and ripping it, and much to Master John's chagrin, was free to roam about the car!!!  He was pretty annoyed with me, but I refused to get back into the box.  Some things are just too horrible to bear!!        
         Finally we arrived in Seattle, after a couple of kitty potty stops for me....I was so  upset that I had an accident in the car.  Master John had to clean it up, and let me tell you, he was not pleased about that.   I think he may have wanted to leave me in the nearest dumpster, but fortunately he did not.  So we arrived at Miss D's condo, which I had never seen before.  As I said, had met her in Portland, but never spent much time with her....I was too shy.  Master John brought me in, whereby I immediately ran into her bedroom and hid under the bed, and stayed there for quite some time.  It was cozy and dark in there and I felt safe.  They tried to lure me out, but I refused...was too nervous and completely furious with Master John, as I realized he was about to abandon me yet AGAIN.  He showed Miss Dianne how to use my cat feeder, and how much food to give me...actually too little, if you ask me, so I do a lot meowing after breakfast to let her know I am still hungry.  Often she listens to the cacophony and gives me bits of food like ham and cheese.  I find that 'whining' works!!  Miss Dianne has been writing my life and trials, so perhaps I will be featured in a blog!  At least, I hope so.  That will be fun....I wonder if anyone will comment on the wonderful personality of Miss Missy Cat...!??
        By now I am used to Seattle, although I have not had a guided tour, or anything like that...for some reason.  I think Miss D. should get me a leash so I can go walking outside with her...that might be fun.  Of course, she won't let me out without a leash.  Now she picks me up any old time she wants, so am used to that.  I used to hate being picked up, but one has to move with the times, I suppose.   I have become sort of a lap cat -- enjoy watching TV also....and if there are goodies on the table, can usually grab a few, eat them quickly, before anyone notices.  Miss D is very concerned with the kitty litter box, which she keeps very clean for me.  She gets a little upset when I have a mishap and accidentally poop on the paper surrounding the box.  I thought it was for that purpose (accidents), but no...am supposed to do my little business inside the box...not outside the box.  But sometimes accidents happen.  I am just a little black kitty, for heavens sakes.  So I slink off and pout when she scolds me for accidental poops.  
        My favorite snack is ham, which she keeps for me in the refrigetator....although she eats it now and then.  I REALLY like ham a lot! 
        Today I noticed that Miss D got up AGAIN at 5:30 am... what is with her anyway!?  So I got up also and patiently waited for her outside the computer room, where she was writing her blog.  (I let out a few loud meows to remind her that I was there ....and hungry for my breakfast.)  She finally emerged, stretched, walked around, and actually went into the kitchen for my food.  By now I was ravenous, only had those disgusting little round kibbles to eat which came up from Portland with me in the car.  Miss D has bought better ones now (I complained a lot about the other ones, and she finally got the point.)  THEN she went back to bed for two hours, and when she got up later,  fed me breakfast yet AGAIN...so I really scored today.  Yea!!!  I am always happy to eat something; she ate a bran muffin, which she shared with me, believe it or not.  Tonight Miss D made a delicious  supper for herself and she gave me just one bite of it.  She said the food might be too rich for my little system, so less is more.  Well, I don't know about thatLess is less, in my opinion, and more is more.  Let's not quibble (kibble!) about points such as these - I like plain speaking.   So I am fine, if a bit disappointed in the quality of my cuisine.  She tends to give me different food than SHE eats.  Maybe she should try some kibble with turkey bits and gravy, and see how she likes that!  I shouldn't complain as I have it pretty cozy here -- one might even say I lead a pampered existence.   Today she found me under one of her quilts on the bed -- I like to burrow in the bed and hide, but she found me.  I also let out a squeak so she would know I was there, and not jump on top of me.  That could be a disaster for me, to be sure.
        Today is December 23, the day before Christmas Eve.  Miss D has been running around the condo, and walking outside in the rain - then she came inside to work on the computer again, writing ecards and letters to her friends.  She also may send a Christmas letter like Master John always sent.   (They were always very informative even if they didn't contain much news about me!)  I hope Miss D writes about me...even if most people would not be so interested in a cat's life, or my opinions on the world, would they?  If I were a person, I would want to know what animals think....because actually they are very sensible creatures, and can see further than many humans.
        Miss D has been reading a new book she ordered - a biography of Diana Ross by J. Randy Taraborelli, who, I understand, is an excellent writer.  He also wrote a book about Michael Jackson, which she has read and liked very much.  (Of course, anything about Michael would interest her...she was so fond of him.) Miss D said that Michael had a fascination with women named Dianne, Diana, Diane or whatever, i.e. Princess Diana, Diana Ross -- then she said perhaps that was why MJ liked her so much....because of HER name.  That would seem odd to me, but perhaps she is correct....one never knows.)
        I have been napping on the bed again, which is very comfortable....and I found a new place....on the comforter which is sometimes on the floor ...it is very soft.
        This morning Miss D got annoyed with me because I coughed up something which was brown....she thought it was poop, that I had stepped in it and wiped my foot (paw, rather) on the carpet.  Of course, I don't make a habit of stepping in ANYTHING, but actually it was not poop and came off the rug very easily.   But she gets bothered by little things like that.   She fell asleep on the sofa (sort of) and I got on the little table, and was sampling her bowl of cottage cheese and cranberry delight.  Very tasty indeed.  Unfortunately she woke up and told me to get off the table.   So of course, I did.  
        Miss Dianne googled herself today, and found even more publicity about herself.. plus photos and Youtube offerings.   Now she is on Facebook, which has expanded her visibility.  And now that she has a blog, will do so even further.   My visibility, au contraire, is almost non-existent.  Sometimes needs to be done about that, don't you think?  After all, I am a very respectable and lovely black kitty who brings joy and gladness to all in my realm.  Mind you, I realize that circle is a wee bit small, but it is growing slowly.  Perhaps I should join Facebook as well.  Do they accept black kitties??
        This is December 25, Christmas Day.  There is a lot of music playing here, and I am enjoying it immensely.   Last night Miss D went to a dinner party and came home quite late.  But she left some Xmas lights on as well as the classical music   station  so I wouldn't feel so lonesome.  In the morning she got up quite early and went to her computer....a habit these days.... and finally got around to feeding me some two hours later!  I find that a bit annoying.  She should feed ME first thing....after all, I am a little black kitty.  And hungry in the morning.  Hope there is ham on the table today (being Christmas and all).  She did promise me some.....
        So far today, no Michael Jackson....wonder of wonders!!  And somewhat surprising.  She wanted to listen to classical Christmas music, she said.  However, if he had composed any semi-classical Xmas pieces, those would be playing, I am sure.  But he didn't.  His latest album, made with the pop star and producer, AKON, is very lovely.  That boy could certainly sing beautifully....he was a true songbird.  (Bird, you say?) Well maybe that is an exaggeration, but what a terrific tenor voice he had....not to mention he was a master dancer.  I often sat on the sofa with Miss D watching his videos, so have become very familiar with his songs and the  performances.   Whenever I hear his music, I come immediately into the living room to watch Michael on TV. 
        Miss D has found more friends on Facebook....musicians instead of dancers this time...mostly from the symphony.  She is quite pleased about that....she has much more in common with musicians than with dancers....even though she has worked more with dancers than any other professional group.
         Miss D is going to have another student, I believe, a young 28 year old Russian girl whom she met at Mara's dinner party last night.  Miss D is an excellent teacher, I understand, and she is very fond of her students.  She spoke on the telephone with Katya, a Russian friend who has a dog named Tilly. It seems that Tilly ALSO likes to climb on the table looking for food.  Miss D said that was just like me, Missy.  The two of us should meet, she said.  So perhaps that will happen.....who knows?  I am not adverse to dogs...not in the least, as long as they keep their place!
       Today is the day AFTER Christmas, and it is raining again....how novel.  I don't like rain much, but I do like getting into the sink and turning on the water tap.... to get a few sips of water.  That is fun!!!  Anyway I have been napping on Miss D's bed; she came in and whistled (she said), but I was sound asleep so she touched my head and I rose to the ceiling in fright!  Literally!  I was having a catmare, so was scared...but she calmed me down.  I am a sensitive black kitty, you see, and sometimes (not often) am startled.  I have a feeling that she will report this occurrence to Master John. 
        I have been very sleepy today, but finally roused myself to play a game with Miss D.....she likes that.  She found the plate that I somehow got off the table and onto the floor....not an easy task, I can assure you, but then I was interested in the little bits left on it!!!  She was not pleased with me for doing that, but I couldn't help it!  I am just a little black kitty, after all, and I was hungry!!!!
         Miss D has spent the last two days on the computer - mainly on Facebook, and apparently the internet is unusually slow so sometimes pages take a very long time to load. Yesterday, (December 28) a technician came to install her new Life Alert System, which she ordered at the suggestion of friends and John, as she lives alone, and one never knows.  The man who installed it was black (like me) and very nice.  He noticed all her books about Michael Jackson....she said she had been writing about Michael and was a friend and a huge fan of his.  This man was a great fan.....his entire family of 5 sons also loved MJ.  Miss D said that many of her classical music friends were surprised at her affinity for Michael, but she said if one listens to his work and watches him dance, one cannot help but be impressed.   She has worked in music and dance all her life; knows almost everyone in the industry, and thought Michael was the most gifted person she had ever met.  That is saying a lot for her.   She nearly accepted a job in his band for his first World Tour (THE BAD TOUR), but was loathe to leave her first love....the piano and playing concerts. She loves popular music, but as a career she would have found it unsatisfying (she thought at the time).  Although it would have been fun to work with Michael, especially.  In the past she has worked with the greatest artists, she told me:  George BALANCHINE at the NYCB, Jerome ROBBINS and Leonard BERNSTEIN (also at the NYCB), Rudolph NUREYEV (in Zurich and London), Mikhail BARYSHNIKOV in Geneva and NYC; and she played at many galas in Monte Carlo, London, Madrid, Zurich and elsewhere.  Miss D is not a household name, but she is very well known, and highly respected in the music and dance fields.  I wish she had taken the opportunity to work more closely with MJ (and gone on that tour) -- they would have become even closer friends, she said...as they hit it off very well!  Who knows what would have happened?  Of course, now it is too late, as he passed away a year and a half ago.  Miss D said she was devastated and cried for a long time over him....months.  When she sees a video of him and his work, including the performances, she gets very teary-eyed.  She really loved this man.  Amazing!  Of course, the entire world mourned his passing, but there is a difference.  She really admired him as an artist...and his work ethic was unparalleled, she said.  Plus she adored him as a man.   She wrote Katherine Jackson a letter of thanks to express her appreciation of the book Kate wrote about her son, called "NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE" ---which is a beautiful book containing many photos of the Jackson family and Michael not seen in other books or magazines, plus personal stories about him.  I wonder if KJ will answer her letter - Miss D said it does not matter, but she hopes Katherine was able to read the letter, and it wasn't just put aside in a large pile.  
        Where was I before going off on the MJ tangent?  Oh yes, about the installation of Life Alert.  Well, this morning the phone had no line, so Miss D could not call anyone.  In addition, the computer was offline, so she called Comcast.  It appeared that the router was offline, so that affected the computer and the phone.  I am wondering if the installation of the Life Alert System had something to do with that.  The nice man did fasten some apparatus to the router.  So Comcast is sending a technician out to investigate, and we will see. 
        In the meantime, Miss D watched television and is now writing the Chronicles of Missy...namely, me.  Unfortunately during the night I had a series of misadventures, and threw up in several places on the carpet....Miss D was somewhat unhappy about that.  She petted me and tried to make me feel better about the little messes I made, which she had to clean up.  I don't know what the problem was, as I didn't eat too much yesterday.....at least, not that I can remember.  I am just a little black kitty, after all, and cannot be expected to always be the perfect kitty cat now, can I?
        Today is New Year's Eve Day, and Miss D was invited to another party at Mara's, but has told me that she does not feel well (has a cold) so will stay home.  She went outside to drive her recycled items to the back dumpster, and found that her car would NOT start.  The battery is dead, so she called AAA and told them she wanted a brand new one as this one has failed before.   Such is life with an automobile.  I am glad that I do not own a car, not that I could drive one, right?  At least I don't think there are cars made for 4-legged creatures, such as myself....a lovely black kitty.  She will probably feed me something tasty tonight for dinner for dinner...perhaps some HAM.  (Have I mentioned that I am very fond of ham?)
        Today is the first day of the NEW YEAR....2011.  And although I was not offered ham last night, today I received some....and a goodly portion, at that.  Was so happy that I could barely utter a meow of thanks.  Miss D has been watching reruns of the soap, , Dallas,  which she used to watch in the late 70's and 80's.  Also she has been on Facebook and the phone much of the day....and I have had the luxury of napping on the green sofa (very soft), with little goodies coming my way intermittently.  Miss D always pets me a lot, and tells me I am cute and have a soft fur coat, which is the absolute truth.  Not so many kitties are as pretty as I, nor have such silky fur. 
         One of Miss D's facebook friends, Kostas, manages a Michael Jackson website, and he took a photo of Michael singing to a huge audience, and he photo shopped a picture of Miss D in it, tagging it with her name.  So now it is on her FB wall.  It looks like she is really in the audience at that concert!  Very clever of him.  He, of course, knows how much she loves Michael.....that is nothing new! 
        A very nice lady (Emebet is her name) came over on Sunday to clean the house.  She actually cleaned (mostly) Miss Dianne's bedroom and two baths, plus the kitchen and hallway.  Everything looked very nice and pretty afterwards.  Next week, she said, she will bring her daughter and they will clean everything very well.  And then she said that was her New Year's present to Miss D!  That was a nice gift, no?  
        Today is Monday.....New Year's Day, and she has been at her computer writing her New Year's Day blog chapter....on her retirement from PNB, Nutcracker, and reflections on her work there, etc.  It was very good and I think many people liked it.
     Her good friend, Mara, told her she thought it should even be stronger....that PNB, in her opinion, did not treat Miss Dianne anywhere near WELL, given the fact that she was such a unique person, brilliant pianist and talent, having worked with Balanchine for so many years!   Miss D said she could not write something like that....another person would have to do that.   And Mara agreed. 
        Now she is looking into different fonts, colors, and sizes....wants to do visuals.  Ilkka Talvi sent her instructions on how to do all that.  Miss D is not sure she will be able to understand all of it, but she will try.  
         Today is January 10, Francia Russell's birthday.  Miss D sent her an email, wishing her the best birthday ever.  She is very fond of Francia.....having worked so many years with her.  Also she has been corresponding with Olivier Wevers, whose ballet group 'WHIM WHIM' performed in NYC over the weekend at City Center.  They were very well received, and got an excellent review in the SEATTLE TIMES who went to NYC especially for that purpose.  Olivier is, in Miss D's opinion, an outstanding talent, and she likes him very much and and thinks he will go far.
        I am having a nice day....napping a great deal again, as it snowed, and now is raining, so am not going out for a walk, not that I ever do, of course.  Somehow Miss D hasn't tumbled to that one yet.....I do like to go on the deck when the door is open.   
        It has rained a lot in the past two days, and Miss D got a little cold, nothing serious, she said, but she was tired.  On Sunday night we watched the Golden Globes, and enjoyed all the nonsense. Ricky Gervais, who hosted the show was very humorous, if a bit sarcastic at other people's expense, of course, like Robert Downey, Jr., who, thought that the 'new civility' called for by President Obama should extend to award shows as well.  That was a mouthful! The best actress award went to Natalie Portman, who played a ballerina in the film "BLACK SWAN," which was choreographed by her finance, Benjamin Millepied.  I mention this because Ben worked for the NEW YORK CITY BALLET, and also was at PNB for a period of time. Christine REDPATH, Miss D's good friend, is also in the film, playing the role of the ballet-mistress, (which is her actual job at NYCB!).  Interesting!!  Miss D is looking forward to seeing the movie, so she can see Christine in it.  Miss D emailed Chrissy and told her that if the movie gets an academy award nomination (which it undoubtedly will), she (Chris) should get a fabulous dress and walk the red carpet!   Yes, I think so, also.   (Christine is quite a stunning woman....apparently she was an incredible beauty in her youth.) 
        Miss Dianne posts quotes on her Facebook page every day, and she usually gets a number of responses - especially on the Balanchine quotations.  Of course, she included Martin Luther KING'S most famous ones for his celebratory day, as well as John F. KENNEDY'S inimitable quotes ....plus several from Michael JACKSON, John LENNON, Tupac SHAKUR, and other pop artists.  These men all had much to say, which is why they were all such marvelous song writers.  Even Tupac (one of the great rap artists) was quite brilliant.  Michael was more than brilliant, Miss D says, he was on another level altogether.  I have read some of his writings, and of course, listened to all his music, since Miss D has everything of his....CDs, DVDs, performance videos, etc.  She also has many books about him.... including ones he wrote.  Not often one gets to meet a person like Michael, who changed the world of pop music, dance, and show business; as Mr. BALANCHINE changed the world of ballet.  She is lucky to have known these great men - but I know she misses having them in her life now.  Her friend, Mara, told her that while she has been very fortunate to have known and worked with people like that, she was also unfortunate ....because nothing and no one can ever replace these unique individuals. 
        Today is January 20th, the 50th anniversary of JFK's inauguration.  January 22nd, Saturday, is Mr. Balanchine's birthday.  On January 19 was Christine's birthday -- Miss D talked to her today, and realized that she was 60 years old!  Miss D said that shocked her, as she hadn't realized so much time had passed.  She still thinks of Chrissy as 28, but that is not true any longer. And Millie will be 70 tomorrow!   Heavens!!!
         Miss D posted the latest chapter on her blog -- the description of her long train trip to Eastman School in Rochester, N.Y. (from Spokane).  It is quite good, I think, and one definitely gets the flavor of it all from her writings.  It actually sounds like she is talking....not easy to do, but she has managed it.  Today she ran across the son of Melissa Haydn (world famous ballerina) on Facebook....she 'friended' him and found out who he was.  Of course, she used to work with Melissa back in the day, and Millie also came to PNB to work on some videos where she is teaching Balanchine ballets.  Miss D said Millie could be very difficult (in NYCB), and the first time she played for one of her rehearsals, Millie did and said some odd things.  But leave it to Miss Dianne.....she could and did stand her ground.  And so Melissa came to respect her, and they became friends.  Her son, whose name is Tom, told Miss D he had heard about her for many years...and her wonderful reputation.   She told him she had met him as a teenager!!  He was quite delighted about all of this, and said that Facebook was a huge tool when it came to finding people, even when one wasn't specifically looking for them!!!
        Today is Mr. B's birthday....January 22, and many people were on facebook , talking about him, writing about him, talking to each other about him, and etc.  A virtual online party!!!  Even Master John (Miss D's brother) made an appearance.  She was also on the internet searching for Cristian Florea (a cellist with whom she worked in Zurich and also nearly married (she said).  There was a person online posing as Mr. B, who commented on everyone's remarks.  This was reported to facebook, and the page was taken off.  Fortunately no harm was done. 
        Sunday....today....it rained most of the day, so Miss D spent much time on the computer (nothing new there).  She started exercising again. 
        Today is Monday....and it is again raining.  Dreary!  Miss D practiced the piano, exercised, and worked on the computer.
        Today....Tuesday, it is nicer, so Miss D went to the store and then drove the trash to the back of the building.  (This is always something of a chore).   She was tired after that exertion!  Hmm..  I am tired also, so will probably take a nap.  (Just read the last two paragraphs, how boring it sounds.  But sometimes life is just that....boring.)  I am upset about the snacks of late...they are very tasteless.  I only like HAM...I wish she would realize that!  Potato chips are also tasty...sometimes she brings out a few for me.  (Master John told her that human food wasn't particularly good for me....hmph!  None of his business, as I no longer live in his house!  I wish he would keep his opinions to himself.)
         President Obama gave his state of the union address tonight.  It was very good, I thought.  Of course, I am only a little black kitty, but I do have an opinion, nonetheless.  
        A couple of days have passed.  Miss D's facebook account has been shut down by Facebook!!  She was quite upset by this turn of events.  The person who impersonated Mr. B and interrupted the conversations about him on his birthday is the culprit.  No one was fooled into thinking that person was Balanchine, but thought it was someone tending his fan page.  Turns out it was NOT...and one of Miss D's friends, Sandy, tumbled to that fact, and reported the usurper to Facebook.  So  FB shut down all accounts of people who had corresponded with the imposter!   Miss D was caught in the crossfire, so her page was also closed.   After a few days of intense letter writing to Fbook, she was  invited to choose a new password, so finally the issue was resolved; her account is open again.  Whew!  Glad that is over...she was in quite a temper for a few days here.  Miss D said she had taken enough time off from her blog  and needed to get back to it.  Well, that means I won't get much attention.  Every day I have been getting a few bites of ham ...very good ham it is... 
        Today is Superbowl Sunday....Miss D slept late, and I mean late.  She didn't go to bed until 3:00 am...I heard her.  That will do it.  So she has been watching the Superbowl, and I have been napping as usual.  She fell asleep during the half-time show-- the BLACK EYED PEAS.  She couldn't believe that, and neither could I.  Hmmm.   If Michael had been performing, she certainly wouldn't have fallen asleep, I am sure.  So now that she is on Facebook again, perhaps she will be in the mood to fix me some goodies for supper that can also be used for snacks and nibbling.  I have been more successful in getting to the little table for a bite or two.  So things have been looking up.  She watched a perfectly dreadful YOUTUBE video on fbook, of an ugly black cat (not a lovely and pretty feline such as myself) howling...although they called it 'singing.' Hmm.  The caption read, "Is this an audition for American Idol?"  She wrote someone that the video sounded like her kitty, Missy.  That is, ME....I DON'T THINK SO.....EXCUSE ME!  MY VOICE IS MUCH BETTER!  THAT WAS DOWNRIGHT INSULTING!!!
        I haven't written anything for a few days.  For one thing, haven't felt so well, and another, my alter-ego, Miss D, has to type for me....as I am not so proficient yet.  This involves some maneuvering, as I have to tell her what to type, and hope she will do it.... without hesitation or questions.  So far, so good....
        I have changed my place of sleeping at night.  Now I either sleep on the big green sofa, or on the floor next to the heater amidst Miss D's shoes.  She asked me why I slept there....well, that should be obvious....it is warm and cozy.  Now and then I go on her bed, checking her out, but it is difficult to be comfortable when she moves and re-arranges the covers.  So I decided to just stay in the living room... and I think she is okay with this pattern. 
        This morning I got my breakfast in a timely fashion, for once...not too long after she got up.  She doesn't like it when I jump on her in the morning to see if she will take the hint and GET UP.  But she really didn't like that, so I had to cease and desist--I guess that is the correct term.  I had a tasty bit of ham yesterday, and hope for more of same today.  We shall see!  I take nothing for granted.  
        Again a few days of NO writing.   Today is Thursday (after Valentine's Day, which was Monday).  Miss Dianne has been very busy writing, finishing up her latest blog chapter on her first year at Eastman.  Very interesting, I must say.  She wrote about Glenn Gould, the famous and fabulous Canadian pianist, and how she came to meet him, etc.  Also Leonard Bernstein figures into the story...as she knew and worked with him as well.  She certainly has known and worked with many wonderful artists....don't know many like her.  Of course, she is of that caliber as well, which is why she is who she is.   Apparently many people have been writing to her about all the performance videos she has posted on fbook of Michael JACKSON, her favorite person and pop artist.  She got a note from an ex-dancer friend, Laura Flagg Pitts, who said she just loved the performance of BEN, which Michael sang on the Academy Awards show when the song was nominated.  (Did you know that his Billie Jean performance on the Motown 25 TV show was nominated for an Emmy?  I didn't know that, and although he did not win---Leontine Price won----he was NOMINATED, and that was a big deal.)  Well, he was a big deal.  Miss D was lucky to have been around him when she was.  To think he offered her a JOB....playing in his band....AND then to think she didn't go.  Boggles my mind, actually. 
         I am sleeping a lot today again.  Sometimes I get bored, and occasionally watch TV which I enjoy, especially if some birds come on and fly around.  That is interesting...and I try to catch them, but sadly cannot.
        Well, today is Saturday....and Miss D's students who usually are here, went out of town.  I think she is happy about that.  Then a message came from John that he and Silvia are home from their trip, but the internet is down...so she cannot talk to them...hmmm.
        Miss D heard from her friend, Stewart Stern, who really liked her latest chapter on Eastman....including her stories about Glenn Gould, Leonard Bernstein, and the shenanigans that went on there.  He thinks she is very courageous.  Peter Boal wrote to her....said she has an amazing memory!  Well, we know that, don't we?  She doesn't miss a trick....not hardly, anyway. 
        My nap was interrupted by Miss D picking me up, with no warning.  She likes to do that, and because I am such a LITTLE kitty, can do nothing about it.  Well, no real harm done, not unless she DROPS me.  She is watching a documentary on Ronald Reagan, whom she did not like....so why is she watching this?   I think it is a bit boring!  
        Master John has returned from his trip to Columbia, with his wife.   Her aunt and uncle also went with them (live in Florida).  Huge family, apparently.  Silvia (his wife) has a birthday soon, so Miss D wrote on her Fbook wall.  I heard her talking to her brother on the phone....about ME, and my meowing loudly at her in the morning in her office....when I didn't get my breakfast on time!  Well, it was very late, so thought I needed to 'say' something.....guess I was a little loud.  Then when she was watching a recital on Channel 9, she closed her eyes, and appeared to be asleep.  So I went over to check on her.....(she was ok).....and I sat on her lap for a while and got petted, of course.  I like that... 
        Miss D talked on the phone for several hours today to Laura Flagg Pitts (sister of Elise Flagg).  
She also spoke with Bryan Pitts, Laura's husband yesterday.  They have all known each other for years....since NYCB and Zurich days.  Laura had a bout with throat cancer some years back... twice...and had to have surgery on her throat and tongue..and although apparently it is gone, one never knows.  Bryan told Miss D that Laura has much trouble swallowing, and has to eat very slowly...so sometimes she doesn't eat, because it is so difficult for her.  Consequently she has become very thin....too thin....it is called 'wasting.'  Bryan was Artistic Director of  the Oklahoma City Ballet Company for over 20 years, and then a new president of the board came in and fired Bryan, for no apparent reason.  The board wanted new people, even though Bryan was very experienced and had brought the company to a much higher level.  Not to mention that he was their chief  fund raiser, had raised much money, and is a very talented choreographer.  So!  When that happened, their health insurance also disappeared....and this coincided with Laura's bout with cancer.  Talk about bad luck!!!  So she works a bit with kids, but doesn't have a great deal of stamina, and only weighs 85 pounds!!  But Laura is grateful to be alive, she said.  One never knows what will happen in life, does one??
        Yesterday was Sunday, and we watched the Oscars, that is, Miss D and myself.  Very entertaining show, if I do say so.  Have not watched this show in the past as Master John almost never watched the Oscars, as a rule....but Miss D always watches the Oscars, Grammys, American Music Awards, Golden Globes, etc., so I get to see many types of artists.  
        Today is Wednesday, March 2, and I have been happily dozing by the heater this afternoon.  Yesterday Miss D got upset with me because I bit her hand, only in play, but she did NOT like that.  I was told by Master John to NEVER, but never bite her hand.  I forgot and in the excitement, I chomped down.  She yelled at me, and said no more food for me today!  Hmmm.  That does not bode well.  She usually carries out her threats, although maybe I can act really cute, and cajole a few bits from her plate.  I now walk where she sits down, and wait for the food to come....we will see if this continues to pan out.  
         Did I mention that she got in touch with a few of Michael's backup singers and dancers?   They seem to be very nice people, and one wrote a lovely poem which she read to me.  It is quite moving and describes Michael to a T, at least what I know of him anyway.  Miss D is now an advisor and administrator of the MICHAEL JACKSON YOU WILL ALWAYS ROCK OUR WORLD site on Facebook.  Her friend Kostas created this site and asked her to participate in administrating it...because, he said, of her great knowledge of music in general, and Michael in particular.  She does know a great, great deal about him - and of course, she knew him as well.  All her friends marvel at her memory and ability to put it all in focus.  She wants to do what she can to offset all the negative press he received for so long.  Did no one do that for him when he was alive....and younger? Dianne should have been with him....I don't think anyone would go up against her. She can really take someone to task, if she puts her mind to it and in no uncertain terms.  I have heard her---and she can Really Write As Well.  Michael would have been happy to have her in his corner....and to think he did want her to go with him on that first tour.  (And she didn't go)...pity.  I wonder if he knows what she has done on his behalf since that awful day....and even before that.  She really loves him....and says she did from day one.  That is some kind of charisma he has....people just fall all over themselves for him.  Not that she is doing that!  No....that is not her style, but she is steadfast in her determination to speak out for him.
         I haven't written much lately....too much going on about the earthquake in Japan and the tsunami, etc.  I, myself, knew there was something amiss when I raced around here like a bat out of hell on the day of the earthquake.  Miss D has a friend whose cat did the same thing!  They were talking about it on the phone.  So I was not in the mood to write anything.  Last night I watched TV with Miss D....PBS....rerun shows of Ed Sullivan, and it was so much fun.  All the well known groups from the past....The TEMPTATIONS, THE SUPREMES, BEACH BOYS, JAMES BROWN, ROLLING STONES, HERMAN'S HERMITS, THE ANIMALS, etc.  The list is long....Miss D wrote about it on Facebook.
        Well, here I am again, after a long absence during which I did mostly nothing except practice jumping and leaping and running in the house.  I have discovered some new perches, but sometimes I fall off them, after jumping up....and then screech, which always brings Miss Dianne running...although she cannot run very well right now!!!!
          Yesterday came the news that Osama bin Laden was killed by the Navy Seals, and as his body was in the hands of the US, he was buried at sea!   This has caused much rejoicing ...dancing in the streets!    Hard to believe it has been 10 years since the Twin Towers (9/11) fell and he was responsible.   Then there was the plane that went down in Pennsylvania, which was headed for the Pentagon!!  When the passengers got wind of the plan, they forced the plane to crash at the expense of their own lives.  What a horrific tale!
         These days were taken up with coverage of the Royal Wedding - Prince William and Kate Middleton, now called Duchess Katherine of Cambridge....he is now the Duke of Cambridge.  The whole thing was splendid.....colorful, beautiful and her dress was stunning.  Some of the most exquisite music I have heard was performed.  Miss D stayed up all night watching the live broadcast, and also taped it.  There was nonstop coverage the next two days, with adjunct stories...re-broadcasts of Charles and Diana's wedding as well.  Miss D was living in Zurich in 1981 and remembers all of that very well.
          Now we have nonstop Bin Laden news.  Oh yes, and the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, has been postponed until September 8!! That will give the wonderful media and news pundits time to rehash their garbage about Michael.  Miss D is livid about it!!! 
         (NOTE FROM DIANNE, MISSY'S OWNER):
This Chronicle was never finished, sadly.  In November, 2011, Missy passed away, quite suddenly, although she had showed signs of slowing down.  On the last day of her life, she slept a great deal, and wouldn't eat much.  She also stuck to me like glue...and then when she got too weak I put her on the floor next to my bed on a towel and cushion.  She passed....trying to raise her paw, and say 'meow.'  And that was it!  Poor little thing!  I was so sad and upset...and just sat on the floor with her to her last breath.  Soon after that I sustained a fall in my kitchen and was taken to emergency at Swedish.  After many tests and visits to specialists, I was admitted to Swedish in Isaquah where I underwent brain surgery to have a shunt installed...for hydrocephalus )hunt   This was in February 2012, Valentine's Day, as a matter of fact.  About 6 weeks later, a large gallstone was discovered, and my gallbladder was removed as it was not in good shape.  After that I contracted colitis, which sometimes happens in hospitals.  I was very, very ill with this condition, and had to re-enter the hospital for several days.  After I left the hospital, I went into physical therapy to become mobile again.  This is all continuing and my health improves steadily, as well as my walking.
        I miss my little cat, Missy, and often have dreams about her.  It is very ironic that she was buried here on Solomon and Emebet's property, (where I now reside), even before I went into the hospital the first time.  Animals often have 6th senses about things.  I wonder if she had a presentiment about what would happen to me, and thus to her.   Of course, I would not have been able to care for her; I have the feeling she knew that and decided to leave first!!!  Adieu, pretty little Missy.  You were a great friend and companion, and much fun as well!!!
         
        




 

No comments:

Post a Comment